Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Outdoor Wall Art

My front porch became the piling place when we did the remodel.  Everything went to the front porch....and took up residency.  That is, until I evicted them.  I hate a cluttered front porch.  I hate a cluttered back porch, but that is another post.  The front porch is almost always the first thing every one sees when they pass a house.  It is what says to the passerby, "Hey, this is home.  This is a place to rest and relax and have some fun."  My porch said, "I'm a trash bug, I'm open to anyone that wants me." 
Now my house is not the most beautiful house on our road.  My house, however, has been here longer than most of the houses on my road.  My house is about 60-70 years old, built by my grandfather.   So, of course, I want the inside and outside to look nice.  And, after the remodel, the outside did not look nice.
The hubby and son, upon my request (and there were many requests) hauled everything off.  I was left with a lot of work to do to get my front porch back to a somewhat normal and nice looking state.

After everything was hauled off, my son and I got to work.  We scrubbed down the porch, which is concrete (and desperately needs a new paint job), the walls and the ceiling.  We got the chairs that go on the porch and scrubbed them down with Dawn and bleach, rinsed and scrubbed with some Grease Lightening, and rinsed again.  I placed the chairs and a table on the porch and was happy....but it needed a little something.

Hence, the wall art. My dad had a ceiling medallion on his back patio, in a box, covered with dirt and cobwebs.  I took it.  And had no idea what to do with it when I took it.  Until I cleaned up the porch.

                This is what it looked like before I painted it.  Pretty boring, if you ask me.  And white. 


          I spray painted it a silver nickle color.  It went on really easy and only took one coat to cover it all.

                 After a week or so, I got it out of hiding (my office) and took some bronze paint and           black paint and brushed it on and wiped it off. 

                     And there is the finished product!  I just need to figure out how to hang it up.

                                           Here it is hanging on the wall on the front porch.

 A closer look at it.  I really like it.  It pops on the wall.  And it adds some hominess to the front porch.  Now I just need to get some sun-loving plants to hang up and the front porch will once again be a welcoming site.

No comments:

Post a Comment