Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Monkey Bread?

Have you ever woke up and thought, "Today is a good day to bake up a bunch of goodies"?  I do.  And today was one of those days.


NOTE: There are no exact measurements for this Monkey Bread.  As I have stated before, I do not measure, I eyeball everything. 

 My son has been sick since Sunday night.  So he's been home watching a LOT of TV and just trying to get better.  He is much better today.  Anyway, today was a good day to bake.  My dad, who has dementia, loves sweets.  I think it's the German in him.  So most of what I baked up today will go to him.

I decided to make dad's favorite, banana pudding 

I also had a box mix of Orange/Cranberry muffins, so I whipped that up with a few changes...I put a powder sugar glaze on top.  Soooo goood!

I found THIS RECIPE at Taste of Home and had everything but the brown sugar, which I sent hubby after this morning. Yeah, I'm good like that.

Then, I thought, 'Some monkey bread would be good, too."  SO, I took out my bag of Rhodes dinner rolls, opened the bag and let them sit for about 20 minutes to soften up a bit.

I melted some butter in one bowl, combined some sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.  I dipped the rolls in the butter, then in the sugar mixture and placed them in my Spring form pan.  After one layer, I added about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and continued to add the sugar dipped rolls.

I took my melted butter and added another tablespoon or so to a sauce pan.  I took the sugar mixture and added some brown sugar and mixed really well, breaking up any clumps and added it to the melted butter and let that cook until it began to bubble.
Then, I poured this on top of the rolls and this is where the 'ooops' happened!  Somehow, the pan sprang a leak!  Sugar juice was going everywhere, so I grabbed a 9x13 pan and poured everything into the pan.  Hubby attempted to find and fix the Spring form pan with no luck.

I arranged the rolls in the pan, covered them up with a towel and set them aside to rise!  About 3-4 hours later, they had risen and I popped them into a 350 degree oven.  I went to check them about 15 minutes later and some had popped out of the pan, but they were done.  I put down some foil and mixed up some powder sugar glaze and drizzled it all over the rolls.




Not sure I would call  this monkey bread, but it is really good.  And I am sure my daddy will LOVE it all.

Maybe one day I'll perfect the monkey bread recipe, but for now, we'll take it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment