Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Costumes: Butterfly Fairy and A Snow Bird

Hey, everyone!

It's been a busy week.  I have been slowly working on a couple of Halloween costumes for my nieces.  One wanted to be a Witch.  She's been a Witch the last 3 years, so her Mother and I decided on a different costume for her.  My other niece originally wanted to be an Angry Bird, then changed her mind to a Snow Bird (Cardinal).

I took some photos of the process, but I must admit, they are not detailed.  I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

Butterfly Fairy Costume

We bought this butterfly wings and wand at Savors.  I fell in love with it.

I took some craft foam and craft paints and glitter glue and made a butterfly to somewhat match the butterfly wand.  After it was all dry, I folded the butterfly in half to make it look somewhat real.
 
We also found the dress, minus the butterflies, at Savors for 3.00 (SCORE)!  After making the butterflies, I hot glued them to the dress.

 How it looks with the butterflies on it.  Pretty awesome!

Then, I measured my nieces head and added 3 inches...her head measured 20 inches, so I needed at least 23 inches.  I created a circle and wrapped the ends with green floral wire.  Floral tape would be better, but I didn't have any, so used the wire.  I then tied purple and green ribbon to the part where the wire is and hot glued some glitter butterfly buttons all over it.  Then, I took some glitter spray and sprayed the ivy crown with it. 

It's gonna be a little cool and a LOT rainy here on Halloween, so I got some black tights for her to wear.

Snow Bird

 We found this red shirt at a thrift store for about 3.50!  We bought a red boa at Savor's for around 4.00!

 I took the boa and hot glued the boa along the shoulders and down the arms.  I bought another boa at Walmart for about 5.00 and hot glued the boa onto the back of the shirt.

 I took the left over boa and hot glued it to the bottom of the shirt for a tail.

I used red, black, and orange craft foam to create a mask. I cut red and black hearts, the black being smaller and hot glued them together and to the back of the mask. I added some glitter glue around the beak and the hearts.  I took red craft foam and cut out large thin 'S' shapes and hot glued them to the top and back of the mask, then using some of the feathers from the boa, hot glued them onto the "S" shapes.  I took some black craft foam and cut out tear drop shapes (not shown)

When I get a chance, I will measure where to cut the eye holes and put the black tear drop shapes around the eyes.  Punch a hole on either side of the mask and tie or hot glue the string so it can fit the face.

The girls will come to my house after school on Thursday and I will roll and spray hair and do their faces.  And I will be sure to take photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment