Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Friday, July 5, 2013

A Recipe For A Better Outlook

It's time for some positive thoughts.

I'm not sure if this will apply to everyone, but it sure does for me.  As a stay at home mom and wife, I value what little time I get that is just mine.  Whether it is early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee or late at night after everyone is in bed sleeping.  I make the most of that time.  Here lately, it's been far and few between.  I haven't had time to myself in a very long time.  So, when my son asked if he could go out with his friend on a Friday night, my first thought was, "I'm gonna be here all by myself?"  Then, my eyes got HUGE!  My heart began to beat faster!!  I got really excited!!!  And I said without (much) hesitation, "YES! YES! YES!"  James would be at work.  Jacob would be with his buddy.  I had, dare I say it, 6 hours of ME TIME!!!!  Wonderful, glorious, begged for, and now I got it ME TIME!!!  It was almost too good to be true!!  But it was going to happen.

After James went off to work, and Jacob was off doing whatever 17 year old boys do, I turned off the TV, put on some soft, relaxing music and surfed the Internet for some "good for you" dinners.  I cooked a very healthy, light, flavorful dinner (recipe at the end of this post).  Then, I warmed up some olive oil, took it to the bathroom, popped a towel in the dryer and ran that hot oil all through my hair.  Got my HOT towel and wrapped up my hair.  Then, I got out the OLAY "face stuff" and proceeded to give myself a much needed facial.  I slathered on some thick face cream, sliced me a couple of ICE COLD cucumbers and kicked back in my chair for about 20 minutes.  It was nice, with just my CD of soft, relaxing Celtic music playing in the background, for the first time in a very long time, it was just me and I was relaxing.  I did some deep breathing, and just let my mind stop for that 20 minutes.

I went into my bathroom and started the shower...just the hot water at first, to steam up the room.  I sat in there, looking at a new magazine I had bought and let the steam cleans me.  After my shower, I got out the 'good' lotion.  You know you have it.  The kind that is only used on special occasions?  Yeah, that one.  I got that one out.  It was wonderful!

I decided to watch a little TV so I found a nice show "A Haunting" (DON'T judge me) and made a ice cold glass of lemon water.  I sat back and watched my show for a while and just relaxed.

It was glorious.  It was wonderful.

Most of the time, in our busy hurry up and wait mentality, we don't stop and take time for ourselves.  After having a heart attack, it is important to spend time with the ones we love, our family and friends.  But, it is also important to spend time with just us.  There is nothing wrong with a few hours to pamper ourselves, read a book, go for a walk, watch the sunrise or set.  There is nothing wrong with spending time with just YOU!  As a matter of fact, it is quiet important and any doctor will tell you to take that time.

For most women, having a family, job, and all the activities we over load ourselves down with, we need this time to ourselves.  We deserve a few hours to ourselves.  It allows us to recharge.  It allows us to better cope with what life throws at us.  It allows us to clear our heads.  When women are allowed this time, it not only is healthy for them, but it also allows for healthy relationships to develop and already existing relationship to deepen.  When we let our bodies slow down, it lets our mind and our heart to slow down, to relax. So go ahead, take some time for just you.  You need it.  You deserve it.  You'll be happier for it.  And, your heart will thank you.


Pasta, Ham, and Tomato Salad

8 oz of any pasta (cooked as directed)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 T. dried basil
1 T. olive oil
1 small white or red onion, sliced
1-2 oz. deli ham
1-2 oz. deli turkey
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
1/4 cup Italian Dressing
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, basil, and onion, add a pinch of salt and saute this until the onions are tender crisp.  Chop up ham and turkey and add to the skillet, stir to combine.  Turn heat to low.  Once pasta is cooked, drain. ( You can use day old pasta, just cover with hot water to warm up, then drain).  Put the pasta in a bowl and add the onion mixture. Add the diced tomatoes and cucumbers. Toss.  Add the dressing and salt and pepper to taste.  If you like, you can top with Parmesan cheese and serve some crusty bread with this.  Light, easy and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment