Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mexican Casserole





I've not posted many recipes.  I’m attempting to fix that.   

We had a lot of appointments this morning.  Got some pretty good news at one, not so much, at the other.  So I guess you could say it was balanced.   By the time we got home, my head was about to split wide open.  It’s just so hot and so humid.  Thank God for my air conditioner!!!


After hubby left for work, I went into our bedroom and laid down for a while.  My son came in a few hours later and woke me up.  I didn’t want to wake up.  But, I did.


Before I laid down, I boiled some boneless, skinless chicken breast.  Now I had to figure out what to do with it.  I wasn’t in the mood for anything in particular, so I was open to any suggestion.  My son began talking about a recipe I had made a few years ago.  Like I was gonna remember it!!!  He did.  So, we began searching the kitchen for the ingredients.   I was in luck, I had it all.  So, we began to do the prep work and assembly.  






This recipe is really good.  I’m not sure what to call it, so my son just calls it “Mexican Casserole”.  It works.   If you make this, let me know how it turned out and any changes you made.


Mexican Casserole
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 large fresh ears of corn, cooked and cut off the cob (Can use frozen, about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small white onion, diced
2 T. minced garlic
1 package of taco seasoning
1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 package flour tortillas
3 cups Fiesta Blend Cheese (or cheese of choice
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Sour Cream
Process:
Boil chicken breast in the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, to taste.  Let cool, then shred.  Set aside.  Cook corn on the cob, let cool, then cut off corn, about 2 large ears.  Combine, chicken, black beans, corn, onion, and minced garlic in a large skillet.  Add a little olive oil to coat mixture.  Let this cook for about 5-10 minutes. 
In a bowl, mix together tomato sauce and taco seasoning.  Pour over chicken mixture and simmer for 10 minutes.  If the mixture is thick or dry, add a little water to thin.
In a spring form pan, or a casserole pan, place flour tortilla in the bottom of pan.  Add 1 cup of the chicken mixture and spread, and a thin layer of cheese.  Continue adding layers, pressing down as you add a tortilla until pan is almost full.  Top with cheese and place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  
Remove from oven and let rest for 10 more minutes.  Top with lettuce, tomato, black olives, sour cream, salsa, and any other goodies you can think of adding.

No comments:

Post a Comment