Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Morphine Hangover Chicken Patty Dinner



I know...the title is a little strange.  Just hear me out...

The other night, I thought I was having another heart attack.  So James rushed me to the hospital.  After several tests, come to find out, it was not another heart attack, but an angina attack brought on by acute tracho-bronchitis...in other words, I have bronchitis and it was shutting down my air flow, which was depriving my heart of the much need oxygen required to live.

One of the many things the hospital did was start an IV and give me some morphine.  It's great stuff...until you get a really bad hangover from it.  That is what happened today.

We got home yesterday morning around 4am and I was flying high.  James said I 'sang all night'.  I have no memory of that.   Needless to say, I slept pretty much all day yesterday.


James woke me up bright and early this morning to go to the super center to get some groceries, house hold supplies and of course, my prescriptions filled.  I do not think there is enough coffee in the world that will get rid of a morphine hangover.  We did our thing and came home.  James went off to work and I went to bed.

I woke up 2 hours later and thought to myself, "I have to fix some dinner...ugh."  So, half asleep and hungover, I took out some breaded chicken patties.  I stood in my kitchen looking at them and had no clue what to do with them.  I decided to 'wing it' and throw some stuff together and call it done.


It turned out pretty good.

Morphine Hangover Chicken Patty Dinner

3 breaded chicken patties
1 small onion, halved, then sliced
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1-2 Roma tomato, sliced thick
3 slices of turkey bacon, halved (so you have 6 slices)
3 slices of cheese (your choice, I used American)
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice

Directions
Heat skillet (I used my large cast iron, you will need an oven proof skillet).  Place turkey bacon in heated skillet and fry until almost done.  Remove to plate lined with paper towel.  While bacon is frying, slice onion.  After removing bacon from skillet, add onions and stir.  Turn heat to Medium and let the onion sweat for about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir. Remove from skillet.  (I put mine on the plate with the bacon)

Add the chicken patties and cook until almost heated through.  Take the tomato and slice.  Top each patty with 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of the bacon, and, the onion/garlic mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste and top with the cheese slice.  Heat oven to 300 and place skillet in the oven and let this cook for about 15-20 minutes. 

While the patties are in the oven, make the rice according to box directions.

To serve
On a plate, put 1/2 to 1 cup of the rice in the middle and top with the chicken patty.  Drizzle some ranch dressing, ketchup, salsa, sour cream, whatever you like, or leave it plain.  You could use buns and have a chicken patty sandwich, too.

This was actually pretty good and very filling.  I might just have to make this again, but without the morphine hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment