Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Potato Pancakes

Excuse my ignorance!  I had no idea.

en.wikipedia.org

For years, probably for as long as I've been alive, my family has always used the left over mashed potatoes to make potato pancakes.  I love them.  They are so versatile.  You can add pretty much anything to them and you could have a meal.

I make them quite often here for dinners.  Hubby and son absolutely love them.  Sometimes I will add a little diced onion, ham and cheese.  Sometimes I just add the egg and flour and sometimes I will throw in everything except the kitchen sink, make a nice salad and that is dinner.

I'm not sure where I first ate potato pancakes.  I'm not sure if it was my Mother or my Grandmother that introduced me to them.  I just know I love them.

I had no idea that Potato Pancakes are a Hanukkah tradition.  I had no idea the history behind this delicious food creation.  Nor did I know they originated from European and Middle Eastern century-old traditions including Austrian, Belarusian, among other countries.  Potato pancakes have been served in Germany and other European countries since at least the 19th century.
http://www.quick-german-recipes.com/german-potato-pancake-recipe.html

They are so simple to make.  Take some left over mashed potatoes or grate some up, add some AP flour and eggs, mix well and fry in a skillet until golden brown.  You can add pretty much anything you want: diced ham, crumbled bacon, pepperoni, diced chicken, etc., onion, garlic, and any herb/seasonings you like, and any veggie you like.  You can top them with apple sauce, sour cream, ranch dressing (my fav), or anything your heart desires.

I don't think I'll ever look at a potato pancake the same way again.

I'm educated on them now.  And I still just love them.


No comments:

Post a Comment