Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Eve/Day

What an amazing year our family has had.  We had marriages, surgeries, parties, fights, arguments; we've shared love, hugs, smiles, food and more.  It has definitely been an emotional year. 
Now we are heading into another year, a new beginning.  We can 'start over', or as my son says, "We get a do-over". :)  We can come up with new recipes, new craft projects, new home remodels, all kinds of great stuff.  We can also love a little more, be a little kinder, forgive a LOT more and appreciate what we have instead of wanting more and more.  That's not saying to NEVER want again...that is saying to think before you spend.  Do you REALLY need that extra pair of shoes?  Or Shirt? Or pants? Or hat?  Do you REALLY need that new gadget because it was on the Food Network or HGTV?  OR, can you make due with you already have?
Can you find things around your home to use as an organizer, decorate it up and make it work?  That would be ideal, for sure.
What are YOUR New Year's resolutions?  Do you make them?  I don't, because I can never stick with them.  However, this year is a bit different.  I have 3 classes left, a 6 week break, then I begin the last 16 weeks of my college career student teaching.  This time next year, I will officially be a college graduate!
Yesterday, I received my application for student teaching.  Fear almost took my life!  WHY?  Well, because it's a reality now. Before, I would say, "In X amount of months I'll be doing my internship".  Now, it is HERE!  This will be the first thing in my life that I have totally completed.  So, for my New Year's resolution, I have decided to get through the next 25 weeks with a smile on my face, to enjoy this last bit of learning I can and not have a mental breakdown in the process. :)

Thinking back on my college career, I realized I have learned more than how to be a teacher.  I have learned:
  • Things aren't always fair in life.  Suck it up and be thankful for what you do have.
  • No matter how stressful things become, it too shall pass.
  • When you can't think of anything else to write, go play on Facebook and let your brain take a break.
  • You are not going to agree with everyone, and everyone is not going to agree with you.  Agree to disagree and let it go.
  • When you feel like God has thrown more at you than you can handle, reach out to HIM and let Him do it for you.
  • No matter what anyone says, the dishes, laundry, house work will still be there tomorrow.  Enjoy the present, it's all we have. 
  • Exercise is good for you.  It reduces stress, makes you feel and look good and conveys the message that YOU are important too.
  • Once a week, regardless of what's going on, (if you have a significant other/husband/wife) spend some quality time with them.  It makes them KNOW they are important too.
  • Plan vacation time.  Do not bring the laptop (unless you HAVE to), or the cell phones.  This is a vacation, spend with those you love.  And, if you have to bring those things, only use them in case of emergencies.  
  • And finally, go outside and get some air.  It helps clear your brain, provides oxygen to your body, and it relaxes you.
These are some great lessons I've learned.  Life is short, enjoy it while you can.  And, have a Happy Creative New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment