Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homemade Picles

I love pickles!  There is not much that is better than a juicy, ice cold pickle. 

I wondered one day, "Can I add a cucumber to store bough pickle juice and get a pickle?"  The juice already has all the seasonings...so why would it not work?

I did an Internet search to see if this idea would work.  I really didn't find anything hard set that was a YES or a NO.  So, I bought some cucumbers (they were on sale, so if it didn't work, no problem).
I cut them into spears and added to my store bought, left over pickle juice.  I placed the jar into the fridge and totally forgot about them.

The other day, my son said to me, "Hey Mom, did you forget about these pickles?"  I said, "Uh, yeah, I did.  Why?"  He said, "Let's see if it worked."  My son the food adventurer.  So, he got the jar out and pulled one out.  He took a knife and cut in half and said, "Here, this is yours...we'll try this together."  I said, "Uh, no you eat first." 

He did and his eyes got freakishly wide!  I thought he was going to spit it out on me!  Then he smiled and said, "OH MY GOODNESS!!!!  MOM!!  These are perfect!!!"  Not knowing if he was lying and trying to make me sick, or if he was being truly honest,  I picked up my half and took a bite.  One word: WOW!

It did work!!!  Only better!

They were crispy, not soggy like store bought pickles. Yet they looked like a pickle, and they tasted like a pickle.  I had done it!

It is easy to do.  If you have a garden, it costs you nothing.  IF not, find some/buy cucumbers, give them a good washing. Slice them into rounds, spears, whatever shape you want and place them inside a pickle jar with left over pickle juice.  Place in the fridge and leave for about 2 weeks.  You will have fresh, homemade pickles.  What's better than that?


No comments:

Post a Comment