Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Roasted Chicken

Chicken.  It does the body good. :)

I am not a huge chicken fan.  I love fried chicken, if it is done right.  If not, I am not a fan.  However, there is one recipe found here that is the BEST roasted chicken recipe EVER!
The problem I had with my roasted chicken is I only had the oil called for and I didn't want to make a grocery run.  So I came up with my own and it actually turned out pretty good.  Not nearly as good as Pioneer Woman's, but it was good nonetheless.

I learned to cook from my Mother.  She never measured anything, and neither do I.  As for this (or any recipe I post) I eye ball it.  I never add a teaspoon or tablespoon, or cup of anything, just eye ball it.  So, here is how I did my roasted chicken.

1 whole chicken, rinsed and dried.
1 white onion
Herbs/spices of your choice (I used oregano, paprika, sage, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, marjoram, cumin, dry mustard, and basil)
Olive or Canola oil (about 1/4 cup)

Mix the oil, lemon juice and all the spices in a bowl and whisk together.  Rub inside and outside of chicken with rub.

Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Place chicken in roasting pan and roast for 1-2 hours.

It is so good.






While this chicken is in the oven, getting a tan, you will hear a LOT of popping and sizzling.  Do NOT open the oven door!  Let her cook.  Once the chicken is completely cooked, turn the oven off and let the chicken cool down a bit so you don't get grease pops on the arms.  Let the chicken sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.  Yes, I know it is tempting, but don't.  Allowing the meat to rest redistributes all the yummy juices.
I made a simple tomato sauce and Angel Hair pasta to go with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment