Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Painted Hearts

This afternoon, I felt the little creative juices beginning to get restless.  So, I asked the hubby to cut my piece of plywood in half.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but I was gonna do something. 

With all the news about Sandy and the devastation she has caused so many, I turned off the TV, turned on my favorite CD and began.

This was one long piece of plywood and hubby cut in almost in half.  I sanded all the sides with a palm sander.  

 Then, I applied a thin layer of Kilz2.  Love that stuff.  Most of the time one good coat is all it takes.

The two pieces of plywood with Kilz2 on them, drying in the sun. :)

 I then took this white paint and covered both boards.  Two coats, letting dry between coats.

 Once they were good and dry, I took different colors of acrylic paint and drizzled it onto the board.

 I took a paper towel and smeared it all together.  I love the look on this one.

 Same process, pick out your colors, drizzle onto the board, take a paper towel and smear.

 I REALLY love the look this one has!!  My son said it looked "old".  After I smeared each one and they became a bit tacky, I took a clean paper towel and wiped any excess off.  Then I took a fine grit sand paper and lightly sanded each board.  Take a dry towel and wipe clean.

 I got a pencil and drew on (as best as I could) hearts.  Chose my colors, and painted them.

 There is no right or wrong way to do this.  Just do it!

 I took some paint on a paper towel and dabbed on some other colors to highlight the hearts.  Then took some white paint and added a little dimension to the hearts.  On this one, I took a red paint pen and free handed the word "Love" in the corner.  Then outlined the hearts with the red paint pen.

 On this one, I took my distress ink and with paper towel, distressed the entire board, even the hearts.  On the silver one at that bottom, I used the red paint pen to draw in another heart, then painted it in.  Used the white paint to add a little dimension and outlined with the red paint pen.


I didn't do the edges.  I left them wood.  I will added frame wire to the back and these will hang in the master bedroom.  Probably above the bed. :)

What creative ways have you used plywood and paint?  I would love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment