Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hamburger Stew

I did not take any photos of the process of doing this.  I was in a rush to get dinner started this evening and totally forgot.  Next time I make it, I will post photos. :)

I remember growing up, we had this a LOT.  Mom called it "Ice box stew".  She would take all the weeks left over food, throw it in a pot with some tomato sauce and it was really good.  No kidding, it was!

However, as I have grown up and become a bit wiser, I have taken mom's "Ice box stew" and changed it....a LOT!  I do not use left over anything. Mainly because we don't normally have left overs. 

I totally renamed it "Hamburger Stew".  Some call it Goulash, others have called it Beef Stew.  It's a simple recipe, but packs a lot of punch!

Depending on how many you are feeding will depend on the amounts you use.  I am feeding a family of 3, with (hopefully) a little left over for tomorrows lunch.

NOTE: I always do this in my crock pot, but it can be done on the stove top.

3 lbs. Hamburger Meat/Ground Beef (lean or not)
1 medium white onion, diced
1 8 oz. bag of mixed veggies
1 8-16 oz. can each tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (depends on how tomato-y you like it)
3 chicken bouillon cubes
2-3 teaspoon minced garlic
1-1 1/2 cups dry elbow pasta
salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything in the crock pot, set on high, let cook for 3-4 hours. Give the stew a good stir, add water if a little thick, add your pasta and let cook for another 30 minutes or until the pasta is to your liking.

Optional: Cheddar cheese, Jalapenos, sour cream, saltines.

When the stew is done, you can top your stew with the above or just eat it.  Either way it's good, especially on a cold evening.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment