Just a Little County

No matter if it is in the kitchen or the great outdoors, it's time to put a little country in our lives.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Hearty Sweet Potato & French Lentil Stew


The new year is almost here!  And what a new year it will be!  I've had many people praying for me, and my family.  We thank you all for those prayers.  I've been home now for 3 days.  Doing okay with the not smoking.  But, considering I've smoked for YEARS, I think I am doing pretty good.  James went to the store and got me some of those patches that help you stop smoking.  Dr. Ali says that it is safe for me to use.  So, we are going to try that and see what happens. 
This morning, as I was taking all my medications, I looked down at all the pills in my hand and I laughed.  I had an Aunt..Aunt Loni who use to carry a small over night bag with her at all times.  It was full of prescription medications.  I laughed.  James asked what I was laughing at and so I told him.  Then, added, "I sure hope I don't end up like my Aunt Loni."  
But then I got to thinking about her.  She lived a very long life, a very happy life.  So, maybe ending up like her might not be so bad after all. 
In my search for healthy menus, I came across this recipe at Better Recipes.  I had everything in the house except the veggie stock.  Short trip to the store and yesterday, I had this in my crock pot cooking.  
I will have to add this:  This is a wonderful, filling soup/stew.  However, I will make a few changes when I make this again.  This is VERY SPICY.  Not hot-spicy, but just spicy.  It had a wonderful flavor and texture to it.  I cut the Cayenne Pepper to 1/4 teaspoon and it was still a bit spicy.  
So next time, I think I'll cut the Cumin and black pepper to 1/2 a tablespoon and see how that works.  Other than the 'too spicy' part, this was fantastic!  I added an uncooked potato to it after it had cooked to see if that would take out some of the spicy-ness of the recipe, and it did a little bit.  If you like things really spicy, don't change anything.  If not, play around with it until you have it just right.
There are a lot of great heart healthy recipes on Better Recipes...so give them a look see and try their recipes for better health.
The Page Family

No comments:

Post a Comment